When the world is all hurricane-y and Paris is windy to the point it gets me worried if I will fly away 🤔I make this curried sweet corn and potato soup as “potential aankhri khwaish/last wish”. Okay may be that is not entirely true. But what is life without some spice?
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp olive oil
4 new potatoes (about 200g)
450g sweetcorn kernels
2 bay leaves
1 litre fresh vegetable stock
.5 tbsp of cumin powder, paprika, coriander powder and dry mango powder each and a pinch of garam masala powder
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil with a knob of butter in a frying pan over a medium heat. Once the butter has melted add chopped garlic, onion bay leaves and cubed potato and sauté for five minutes, until softened. Given Sauté is so French you may want to listen to some Edith Piaf while at it, or some Sia! Okay, I think Sia goes much better with butter.
- Add the sweetcorn and the cumin, coriander, paprika, and dry mango powder and continue to cook for two more minutes. If you do not have dry mango powder or invest in it yet. Add some lemon juice. But, do not tell me later the taste was not “original”.
- Add some vegetable stock, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to simmer for five minutes, until the potato has cooked through.
- Stir in the cream and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and a pinch of garam masala (an Indian spice blend of roasted and ground whole cardamon, cinamon, cloves, cumin and nutmeg ) and pour into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- To serve it the sexy way, release your inner artist and play around with some fennel leaves, chillies and whole spices !