Since childhood, (okay maybe teenage-hood) the thought of devouring a well marinated and amazingly spiced TANDOORI chicken makes me teary. For my “unfamiliar with the concept of tandoor” friends, it is basically a form of Indian barbecue which renders amazing smoky flavours. Anything cooked in that is a “Tandoori”. Obviously, I do not have a tandoor here in Paris but I do have an oven and Liquid Smoke. Do not start rolling eyeballs. Yet. Liquid smoke is the bomb alongside marinated grilled chicken (works great with tofu for all the vegetarians too!)
Usually, the Tandoori Chicken gets over way too quick and we are left hungry and wanting for more. So, I decided to make it a bit healthier and wholesome by making a salad out of it.
A bunch of rocket leaves or arugula
1 cup of steamed Organic sweet corns + 1 ripe avocado
1/4th cup of roasted pine nuts
2 breasts fillet of organic free-range chicken or tofu (for a vegetarian option)
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
For the Chicken Marinade:
2 tbsp garlic paste + 2 tbsp ginger paste + 1tbsp coriander paste
Half tbsp chilli paste
Half tbsp of cumin powder and coriander powder
1 tbsp lemon juice + 1 tbsp olive oil
For the salad dressing:
2 tbsp of orange juice and lemon juice each
1 tbsp of apple juice + 1 tbsp of dijon mustard
2 tbsp of olive oil or avocado oil + 1 tbsp honey
- Marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes (best if you can keep it overnight) with all the marinade ingredients.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime drizzle some olive oil in a frying pan and set it to medium heat. Add the chicken fillets once the pan is hot and flash fry it on both sides to a slight golden brown – this really locks in the flavours of the marinade.
- Next, take the chicken off the pan and put it on a lightly greased baking tray inside the oven. Cook it for 15 minutes on 230 degrees. Midway through the roasting, flip it to make sure both sides are evenly cooked. Do not forget the chicken and go out for a stroll. This birdie ain’t Nom Nom if overcooked.
- Once you take the chicken out, add the liquid smoke and cover it with an aluminium foil and let it rest for 8-10 minutes. Do not skip this step, the chicken soaks back all the flavours and juices.(If you are using Tofu, skip the flash frying in the pan bit and put it straight in the oven for 8 minutes at 150 degrees.)
- For the final salad mix all the ingredients in a big salad bowl, slice the roasted chicken and avocado, layer it on top and drizzle everything with the dressing.
I suggest pairing it with a peach iced tea but beer does a FINEEEEEE job too!