With Christmas and New year parties in full swing, here is my contribution to party snack and appetizers! An oriental twist to the all-time favourite Chicken Kebab. These are so versatile that you can serve them wrapped in flatbread, with rice or just like that. I threw in a bit of veggie for that extra crunch and the smoky spiced honey glaze just kicks ass!
Whether you are having a party at home or just going for a potluck make these babies. NOMNOMNOM!
1/4 cup vegetable oil
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
3 cm piece of ginger
1/3 cup honey + 1/3 cup soy sauce
Salt and Ground black pepper to taste
8 boneless chicken breast (cut into 1-inch cubes)
2 cloves garlic
5 small onions (cut into 2-inch pieces)
2 yellow bell peppers (cut into 2-inch pieces) + 2 zucchini (sliced and cut into 2-inch pieces)
skewers and some liquid smoke (i use the Stubbs bbq brand)
- Place the wooden skewers into a bowl of cold water to soak (this will stop them from burning.)
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, grated ginger and garlic, paprika, honey, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Place the chicken and onions and marinate in the mix in the refrigerator at least 2 hours or overnight (cover the bowl with cling wrap).
- Preheat the oven/grill. Drain marinade from the chicken and keep aside a little bit to brush over the chicken for grilling later.
- Add chicken, followed by the onions and vegetables alternately onto the towel dried skewers.
- Lightly oil the grill. Place the skewers on the grill. Cook for 14 to 15 minutes, until chicken juices run clear. Turn and brush with reserved marinade a few time and some drops of the liquid smoke.
- Serve with a grated cucumber, mint and yoghurt dip or peanut sauce!