Some of us in life are obsessed with pesto, we try to find a little Italy everywhere. What better way to celebrate pesto than on World Pasta Day. Here is how the story of this pesto goes.
Once upon a time, Summerpita had a lot of arugulas so she decided to add it to her pesto. She also loves pine nuts, so a lot of pine nut went in as well. A little birdie told her once that raisins work great to neutralize the bitterness of a pesto and whatta protip that was!
An Arugula and pine nut pesto was born.
1/2 pack of fusilli pasta (basically two portions) (Cooked in a pan of salted boiling water.)
1 1/2 cups rocket or arugula + 1/2 a zucchini julienned.
3/4 cup chopped fresh basil and
3/4 cup toasted pine nuts and 3-4 raisins (takes the bitterness of the pesto away)
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves peeled garlic
1 lemon zest and 2 tbsp of the juice
Some sea-salt to taste and some for the pasta water
4 tbsp grated Parmesan
- In a food processor, blend arugula, basil, raisins, toasted pine nuts, olive oil, garlic, lemon zest and juice, salt and some pepper till smooth. Add extra olive oil to smoothen out the pesto even more.
- Reserve some pasta water from the boiled pasta.
- In a hot pan, add some olive oil and sauté the zucchini until cooked. Add some salt pepper.
- Add the cooked fusilli followed by the pesto, parmesan and a few spoons of the reserved pasta water.
- Mix well and serve with more parmesan and arugula.