We love Bacon. We love bourbon. We love jam. Some lazy Sundays we also like a sandwich and prefer putting all of the above in it. Thus, the onion bacon jam with bourbon was born. Slather it on toasts, sandwiches, and cheeseboards basically everything and say “LIFE IS GOOD”. It is so yummy that you will be tempted to eat it straight from the jar. Although then you may run out of it.Orgasmic nonetheless.
Vegetarians can skip the bacon and use liquid smoke or a smoky whiskey instead.
Here is my easy-peasy recipe for onion bacon jam with Jack Daniel’s :
- 10 slices smoky bacon, finely chopped
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar and some salt to taste
- 1/4 tbsp smoked paprika and 1tbsp chipotle
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat; add bacon.Cook and stir until bacon turn golden brown, about 10 minutes.
2. Add the fennel and let it splutter for a few seconds.
3. Reduce heat; add onions, butter, and garlic. Stir occasionally until onions soften and are golden, for about 10 minutes.
4. Add the balsamic vinegar, chipotle, salt, sugar and paprika and cook for another 10 minutes.
5. Finally, add the JD or any other bourbon into the pan. Simmer, uncovered, until most of the liquid evaporates but bacon and onion mixture is still moist for about 15 minutes.
6. Give it a few blitz in the food processor, if you want the texture to be very jammy!
*PUT IT ON EVERYTHING and FEEL the FOOD COMA*